Friday, February 21, 2014

Fitting a pattern

Okay for the last Project Sewn next week the theme is "signature style".
 Make something that is my strength. I kinda did that already on my flannel skirt. (click here) Tube skirts I would say are my strength. So instead of sewing another one- I thought I stretch myself.

I bought a simple pattern on sale- $1.99! (love that!) And the fabric that matches this pattern was also on sale 40% off at JoAnn Fabric. (I will admit. I kept those two elements in mind when I was looking for a pattern to buy.)

This pattern is a fitted, knit/interlock fabric dress. Simple construction, no zippers and such. I am a little scared because I don't normally wear "fitted". But I thought having a simple shell dress that I can wear my cute cardigans with, might be a great staple in my wardrobe.

I found a great youtube video - on how to fit a pattern.
I really want to learn how to do this- so when I sew my fabric together- there isn't major re-constructive surgery going on. A little tweaking is fine- but I don't want to have a bag- that I have to form fit to my body.
(or worse yet- there isn't enough fabric to tweak with in my hips area!)

For this pattern, my body measurements said I was an 8 for my bust area and a size 12 in my hips. (I told you- I am a classic PEAR) Instead of buying two different patterns, I bought the size 8- but enough fabric for the size 12 so I can alter the pattern myself in the hips and have enough fabric to do that.

Thanks Joy Bernhardt for such a clear- easy to follow tutorial!

Wish me luck! I will show you my finished project on Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment