Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Individual Worth: Self Worth

This month's theme is Individual Worth.
"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God"
Doctrine & Covenants 18:10
This month's Theme:
"I am of infinite worth with my own divine mission, which I will strive to fulfill."
I was reading my scriptures, preparing for a talk and the story of
Jacob and Esau came to my mind.
Do you know this story?
It is found around Genesis 25
BASICALLY:
Jacob and Esau are twins.
Esau was born first
therefore he had the "birthright"- being the oldest.
I don't know ALL the implications of this but what I understand....
this means- when their father died Esau would get all the land/possessions
of his father and be the next patriarch of the family.
One day Esau comes stumbling into Jacob's camp.
Esau has been out hunting and hasn't eaten for a while.
Starving- he asks for some food from Jacob.
Jacob agrees to feed Esau in exchange for Esau's birthright.
Esau agrees.
(To satisfy his immediate hunger.)
(Maybe he didn't think his birthright could be transferred?
I don't think he thought about the seriousness of this fleeting decision.)
It got me thinking.
What do I sell my birthright for?
We are all daughters of Heavenly Father
with a birthright to live with Him again.
We have infinite potential to do good
to be our best, to reach our full potential
When we sin- we sell our birthright
When I am lazy and allow myself to sleep in, watch TV all day
instead of doing good, developing my talents, put effort into learning
I fall short of my potential.
The good news is- Jesus Christ is always there
to help us get back on track.
If we've sinned- we can repent!
if we fall short- we can change!
Don't let immediate gratification- distract you from your bright potential.
When tempted to do something wrong--
ask yourself:
"Is this worth my birthright?"
Don't sell yourself short.
Don't settle for anything less- than those things
that help you remain pure and worthy!
Because you are of infinite worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment