Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Skirt Challenge



Here is a simple- so-so-sew simple way to turn a dress jumper into a cute skirt.

I bought this dress at a second hand store this past summer. I loved the bright-cheerful color and the playful pattern of the dress. (They are butterflies)

I also liked the A-line style of the dress... and the hidden zipper in the back. (This wont be just another elastic waist band skirt)



MAJOR problems with the dress:
1. I don't like the bust flaps. (and just between us-- I never can fill those kind of things out.)
2. I am not fond of this style dress. (Especially at my age)

So - to make my jumper/dress into a cute/ modest length skirt...
I simply cut those bust flaps off.

YUP
I didn't even take the dress off my body while I did it.

BUT- I recommend you take it off- while altering.

Then the raw cut edge- I turned down.
(I DID take it off at this point-- and I was super careful NOT to loose the zipper while taking it off.)

So I turned the raw edges over and used my sewing machine to sew a straight line. Starting at the zipper area.. sewing all around the waist area and back to the zipper area.
ONE SIMPLE SEWING LINE!



Then PRESTO!
You are done.
One cute skirt- ready to wear.


It is kinda hard to take pictures of myself..
But here I am at my sons soccer practice...





I love that the skirt is just casual and fun- I can just wear a T-shirt and slippers
and stay cool.


If you make a skirt from a dress- be sure to send a link to your blog so we can see how you did!

or- you can email pictures to
Laurabethblum(at)yahoo(dot)com and we'll all be inspired by your creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment